Fachkundige und individuelle Beratung ist für uns selbstverständlich - rufen Sie uns an!
Sie erreichen unsere Hotline werktags von 10:00 bis 18:00 Uhr unter der 07171 8712 0 (Samstags: 10:00 bis 12:00 Uhr). Außerhalb Deutschlands wählen Sie +49 7171 87120. Im Dialog finden wir die optimale Klanglösung für Sie und klären etwaige Fragen oder Schwierigkeiten. Das nuForum ist seit dem 19. Juli 2023 im read-only-Modus: Das Ende einer Ära: Das nuForum schließt

A-200 as studio monitors

Fragen und Antworten zu Nubert Aktivlautsprechern
FunnyBreak
gerade reingestolpert

A-200 as studio monitors

Beitrag von FunnyBreak »

Hi!

First of all. Sorry for not posting i German. I hope english is OK.

I have a pair of Nubert A-200's which I initially bought for my digital piano. Later, I have built a small home studio around the piano. My gear besides the piano is a Focusrite Clarett 2Pre Thunderbolt audio interface, Logic Pro X on a Macbook, an analogue mixer, a couple of hardware synths and a collection of softsynths. I create electronic music and piano music inspired by artist such as Max Richter, Nils Frahm, Haushcka, Apparat and Ryuichi Sakamoto. From solo piano to more technoesque stuff.

I use the A-200's as studio monitors for mixing and mastering. I have never tried any other studio monitors. Therefore I wonder how the A-200's compare to monitors that you find in music stores such as Focals, JBL's or Adams in the same price range. Would monitors such as Focal Alpha 65's be better for spotting problems in the mix, or are the A-200's fine for mixing and mastering?

I have searched the interweb for information about using Nubert A-200:s as studio monitors but have found almost no useful information in english. I'm not interested in shallow opinions such as "I would never mix on monitors with RCA's" without a good explanation to why.

My audio interface has balanced 1/4" outputs which I have connected to the RCA inputs of the A-200's. I suppose the RCA inputs of the A-200's are unbalanced. Is that correct? Is there a better way of connecting the audio interface to the A-200's? Unfortunately, my audio interface does not have digital outputs. I don't have problems with noise and I use quite short audio cables. Would monitors with XLR inputs really make a difference?

Best regards,
Jan
R. Steidle
Star
Star
Danksagung erhalten: 764 Mal

Re: A-200 as studio monitors

Beitrag von R. Steidle »

Hello there!

First of all, this is the official Nubert forum, so it's probably not the best place to ask if there are monitor speakers from other manufacturers that might be better suited for mixing and mastering than your nuPro A-200s ... I can assure you that the A-200 is a good monitor and quite capable in the role you're using it in, thanks to its impressive (for its size) frequency response and neutral tuning. We do have a quite a few other customers that use A-200s (or other nuPro speakers) for digital pianos and other studio or professional audio applications. Since we sell most of our products to German speaking countries (mostly Germany, Austria and Switzerland) most reviews and user feedback you can find online is unsurprisingly in German.

If you really want to upgrade, the next logical step up would be our new nuPro X-3000 RC or nuPro X-4000 RC, which feature among many other improvements balanced RCA inputs (that can also be used for the digital AES EBU format). However, if you do not have any problems with noise and are overall satisfied with your A-200s I see little reason to ditch them. If you really want to explore more "technoesque stuff", you might want to think about expanding your setup with an additional subwoofer like our nuSub XW-700 (or the older nuPro AW-350, if you can find a used one) to extend your monitors' frequency response below 30 Hertz. Other than that, have fun with your nuPros and feel free to contact us with any further questions!
FunnyBreak
gerade reingestolpert

Beitrag von FunnyBreak »

Thank you for your quick reply!

Since I don't speak German I might have posted my questions in the wrong thread. If so, I apologize. Do you have threads where users can discuss Nubert products and products of other brands freely in an objective manner? I don't think it is strange that users discuss different brands on a manufacturers forum. You see that all the time.

My A-200's are great for what I initially bought them for. That is, practicing the piano. If I where to replace them in my studio I would use them as HiFi-speakers and be very happy with that. I think they are wonderful speakers. However, since they are marketed as something of a jack of all trades (HiFi/Studio) and since they differ from specialized studio monitors by lacking XLR-inputs, I think my questions are reasonable and fair. Therefore, I would still like to hear the opinions of other users who don't have any allegiance to Nubert.

Best regards,
Jan
R. Steidle
Star
Star

Beitrag von R. Steidle »

This is the correct forum, and you can absolutely discuss other speaker brands here (within reason), it's just that you will find most users in this forum will be Nubert customers.
madison
Star
Star
Danksagung erhalten: 29 Mal

Beitrag von madison »

hi Jan,

the nuPro A-200 are really great loudspeakers and you have many possibilities to connect your Piano or other Musical instruments with them. if you claim the missing XLR i can understand your opinion,but i dont think, that this Connection will be soo much clearer than going via Cinch cable in Audio in or USB in usb in f the A-200.
As Mr. Steidle aleady told you, this is the Forum for Nubert Speakers and Equipment, so most of the useres, lets say
around 96-99 % only have Nubert Speakers in their flats or houses. So we can not give you tips or expereince or
can not campare the nuPro with other Brands like JBL,Focal etc.
we all "live" for Nubert, we think, that this is the best Loudspeker with getting always best Price.
so many other Speakers are not correct for giving their technical Information to customers regarding Ohm, maximal power in db,deepest tone around 30 hz etc. you can ready in some magazines like Stereoplay,Audio,Stereo Test etc. that Nubert always gives correct Information about this.
i same have the A-200 and going out from my Yamaha Keyboard/Headphones to Audio In of Speakers and this sounds very well. Besides them the active Speaker does contains sounds Synhtesizer/called ATM-Aktive Tuning Module, where you can go up and down of 12 db for Bass and mid/high for finding your best Sound, i think this won't be offered by JBL or Focal?
i dont know,anyway enjoy your A-200 and be sure that this is one of the best active Loudspeaker which you can buy on market

if some words are not correct, i appologize due to my Auto correction :-(
Küche: nuJubilee 40 + ATM 4
Schlafzimmer: nuPro A-200
Esszimmer: nuBox 311 + ATM 311
Wohnzimmer: nuJubilee 35 + ATM 35, an TV nuBox AS-225
tf11972
Star
Star
Danksagung erhalten: 251 Mal

Beitrag von tf11972 »

Hello Jan,
you can be assured your nuPro A-200 speakers are a „best-buy“. Just look at this review from a german pro-audio-magazine:

https://www.professional-audio.de/test- ... ro-aw-350/

I am a musician too and use the next bigger one A-300 in my organ-setup. Please have a look at this website:

www.nuprofi.de

I am the one at the organ :)

Best regards
Thomas
Viele Grüße
Thomas

Das ganze Haus voller Nubis :)

https://forestpipes.de
ferrero
gerade reingestolpert

Beitrag von ferrero »

Hi FunnyBreak,

in an old german review for musicians I've found comparisons to other known studio monitors and here is the translation of that part (I hope that helps):

https://www.bonedo.de/artikel/einzelans ... est/2.html

A small comparison with the KRK RP6 and the Focal Alpha 65

The basic sound of the speaker reminds me a little bit of the KRK Rokit RP6 G3, which we already found to be quite good in this test marathon. Although there are slight differences in sound, none of them is so serious that a speaker could be classified as better or worse. In short: although the Nubert's tops are a bit more overcast, they still deliver more detail. Overall the Nubert also sounds warmer. However, the bass is not as deep and punchy as the yellow monster by KRK. The KRK costs around EUR 200,- per unit, almost half the price. Of course, the Nubert looks better and has the cooler features - apart from the missing XLR input - but in the studio I don't care about that. Whether the remote control and the more inputs are worth EUR 150,- more per speaker is a matter for everyone to decide for themselves.

If you're less concerned with looks but more with sound, you should also take a look at the Focal Alpha 65, which goes one better in terms of bass reproduction - it plays lower, faster and has considerably less turbulence. It also colours the upper bass range less. Last but not least, the Focal also draws the mids a lot more precisely and in more detail, resulting in a more pleasing and larger sound image. For around EUR 300,- the Focals are even cheaper, but again look much "cheaper".
Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
R. Steidle
Star
Star

Beitrag von R. Steidle »

KRK RP6 Rokit G3: 38 Hz @ -10 dB (!)
Focal Monitoring Alpha 65: 40 Hz @ -3dB
nuPro A-200: 39 Hz @ -3 dB

Yet, according to the article, both the Focal and the KRK feature "deeper bass" than the A-200. Ah, yes. If by deeper you mean less, then you're correct. :->

SCNR
ferrero
gerade reingestolpert

Beitrag von ferrero »

Dear Mr. Steidle,

from a physical point of view you're correct.
Indeed the article also refers to reviews they've made for the named studio monitors.
With regard to the KRK Rokit6 G3 they write here

https://www.bonedo.de/artikel/einzelans ... est/2.html
Performance data

According to the manufacturer's specifications, a frequency range of 38 Hz to 35 kHz is guaranteed, although these figures refer to a drop of -10 dB, which may well be described as euphemistic. The specified maximum level (peak SPL) is again said to be 107 dB, but it remains unclear whether individual, pair, distance and degree of distortion (THD) were measured. But they are still loud, that's for sure.
In a lot of reviews from this website there is a special attention to port turbulence in the bass range.
Maybe "deep" is here more a buzzword for hearing it loud without membrane compression and port turbulence. This fits more to their readers: Young musicians that spend more money for instruments than monitors.
'Punchy bass' is better defined: 77,8Hz or D# No need to go down the frequency so "deep" ;-)
R. Steidle
Star
Star

Beitrag von R. Steidle »

Sorry, that's just what I took away from the article. If both speakers, that are being compared to the A-200, are commended for their "deeper" bass, and their data sheets do not support that claim (assuming the measurements are correct, which in our case, they definitely are), then that really makes me wonder if the author maybe simply misremembered the sound of these other speakers or if maybe some other, unknown factors influenced his impression.
Antworten